Sunday, December 5, 2010

Winter Off-Season = Pre-Season

I decided to take a week off of running this week and, you might say, a week off of training (except for a couple of Spinning and Pilates classes), but this scheduled rest is actually an integral part of my training and is challenging in its own way. But there is something about the season that makes rest and recovery seem natural to my body. Cincinnati winters normally kick the living crap out of me, emotionally and physically. But this year, I feel 180 degrees different. I feel good...like, really good.
The key to 2011 success...If it's too easy, go harder. If it's too hard, TAKE IT EASY. Well said, Johnny G
The temptation with a "periodized" training schedule is to believe that fitness gains only grow with increased volume and increased intensity. Because I feel so good, I want to keep ramping-up my training. But this, the experts say, is a recipe for burnout, chronic fatigue, and self-sabotage. Although my inner-rogue-athlete wants the "experts" to eat these words (because of my new X-factors), I'm afraid to jeopardize my progress this year, so I will acquiesce to my coach-- The point is not to peak in January but in September.

I have been consistently running about 30-40 miles per week, riding in 3-4 spinning classes (or road rides), 2 Pilates classes, plus strength sessions 1x-2x per week.  It's really surprised me, how good I feel at almost all hours of all days. I attribute these good feelings to two X-factors: #1, a new life outlook; #2, the raw fruits and veggies. 

X-Factor #2- The Raw Diet
I'm having more and more days that are 100% raw, but on average, it's about 75% raw. Always, breakfast is 100%, which I'm feeling really proud of. Alas, I'm still addicted to Chipotle burrito bowls. I just get bored with chewing. I feel like I'm grazing all damn day, getting blisters from peeling so many tangerines and bananas. How else am I supposed to get 3000-6000 calories a day?

The smoothies help. Susie bought me a new blender called the Ninja, which prides itself on being the $90 version of the $600 Vitamix. It felt like a safe investment. I've tried both, and can tell you the the Vitamix is superior, but the Ninja is light years better than the food processor I was using to make my smoothies. Basically, the food processor made tossed salads in cup--weak!
The Ninja doesn't distort the space-time continuum like the Vitamix, but it's effective and easy to clean.
Without my monster-green smoothies, I don't know how else I could have kicked the caffeine addiction. Here's my usual recipe:
1/2 lb of frozen kale
1 handful of strawberries
4 bananas
20 oz water

X-Factor #1- New Life Outlook
This will have to be addressed at more length in another blog.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip with the blender and the recipe. How does it taste?

    Have you tried Kale chips yet? AWESOME and so easy. Sea salt, olive oil, nutritional yeast and a bit of lemon juice then you dehydrate them.

    ReplyDelete