Saturday, November 10, 2012

Gettin' Krunk on Kvass (Part II)

A couple weeks ago, I wrote about my friend, neighbor, and bacterial co-father, Dan, who showed me how to make kraut and beet kvass and keep it klassy. I'm happy to report that our children have reached maturity! Time to get get krunk, baby!
Maximized handy-manliness himself, lifting the skirt of the kraut jar to download our baby

5 jars of kraut from two 5-lbs heads of cabbage
It looks like toilet water and vomit, but that's a sign of the DELICIOUSNESS.

Beet chunks, brine, turmeric, ginger, and garlic = Orgasmatonic

After straining out the chucks, it yields a 12 oz and a 16 oz bottle of kvass
Anya and Dan were both sick when I came over for harvest time, so they were feening for the kvass. I would have been sick not to have a shot too. While preparing the kvass, Dan and I had our first domestic dispute over whether to put any turmeric in the kvass. Dan said, "We got it put it in, Chris. We have to try it." And I said, "You've gone too far. That bell can't be un-rung." Dan is the Marine, so he won the argument. And I'm glad he did.
A shot is pretty potent. I'm not sure you'd want to drink much more at a time.
It would make a great salad dressing, though. 
OO DAG! Best kvass I've ever had. Could the Orgasmatonic be as good as Dan's famous Bubonic Tonic? I'm going to make it my mission to find out.
Recycled beet chunks-- after harvesting, Dan refills the jar of beet chunks with more filtered water and will let it sit for another week or so of fermenting. It's a the "re-fried beans" of the raw fermentation world.

No comments:

Post a Comment