Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Barefoot Snow Running

Before winter is over, I will run barefoot through the snow. I don't mean a run through the front yard to pick up the mail, but a fo' serious run of six or seven miles. I'm not really sure why. I think I just despise winter and need to walk all over it.

In preparation, I've gone on two outdoor runs in my new Vibrams. The first was a frigid night in the high 20's F. It was against my physical therapist's instructions. (Sorry Eric). I didn't feel like doing anything, let alone run in the cold. I was all laced up in my normal running shoes, hopping in place in the kitchen to get warmed up. Every time I planted my left forefoot, it was like lightning bolts through my middle toe. I said to myself, "Screw this. If it hurts playing it safe in my normal running shoes, then I'm going to see how it feels in the Vibrams." As soon as I put them on and started warming up in place, the lightning sensation was gone. Yabba dabba doo! Then I took off, into the night.

For the first two miles my toes were painfully cold. Then, mile two to three my toes had gone numb. There was no lighting bolt sensation like usual, but I wasn't having fun and I decided to end the run and head home. All of a sudden, by mile four, my toes felt fine and were actually warm. My feet felt really friggin happy, actually, like new muscles were getting tickled. I ended up doing six. (We're telling Eric, three).
The next day my feet were sore in strange new ways--on the tops and my achilles.

Tuesday of this week, I was feeling unmotivated again when I got home from work. So, I decided the best thing would be to get what I call "grounded as hell". I put on the Vibrams and took off into the darkness.

I only made it five miles this time before my feet and achilles tendons were really tender. I ran to the studio for some sadistic weights and Tabata to finish off the workout.

My calves have been sore for the last four days now, so today I did my 9-miler in my regular shoes. They were much gentler on the calves, but mid-run I collapsed to the ground with toe pain. I took off my shoe and sock and gave my toes and foot and big True Movement massage. From then on, they were happy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment