Saturday, April 23, 2011

NEW BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the greatest wife in the universe... of all time.

Wednesday, she surprised me with an early b-day gift-- A NEW AMAZING TRI BIKE. I totally got punked by my woman. I can't believe it's mine. And I can't believe she's mine. The whole situation was the frickin doge!

She had invaluable support and generosity from our friends Brett and Kristen Hungerford of Element Cycles.

After the time trial on 4/11, I posted a race day report, which brain-on-wheels-Brett read while on vacation. Apparently it frustrated him to hear how I almost broke the 1-hour barrier on a 40kTT while riding Susie's bike. So he and Kristen made it their mission to conspire with Susie to maximize my aero.

The MIT track cycling team has won the national championship the last three years in a row. It sounds surprising at first, but there is a distinct advantage in analytical racing, which MIT nerds are brilliant at. It's always better to work smarter than harder. Thought itself is a performance enhancing drug.

There's plenty of white paper research to back this up, but as Brett estimated, by being properly fitted for your own bike, you shave 2 minutes off a 40k time trial. By switching from spokes to aero wheels, you shave another 2 minutes. By switching to an aero helmet, you save 1 minute. All of a sudden, you can see why he was so frustrated. These numbers are all generalities, of course, open for debate, but I can't wait to find some proof in the pudding at the next time trial. It will be a completely different race from my neck and butt's perspective.
I'm on my new bike at Element Cycles, getting fitted by Brett with Retul.

No comments:

Post a Comment